Search This Blog

Friday, January 11, 2008

Simon is Eight Months Old!

Simon is eight months old today... that is entirely too close to a year. WHERE did the baby go?!



I have a side-by-side coming up too, but the outfit Ben wore at 8 months was so ridiculously small on Simon that I HAD to take another picture in a different outfit. Next month, I'll have another problem because Ben was wearing a Christmas outfit. I'm thinking this particular tradition may need to be phased out. ;)

This month has brought some new things, including the debut of cruising. This has meant at least one new bruise a day, as he doesn't quite get that some things are not stable enough to hold onto... like the rocking chair in his room, for instance... or his brother's light saber standing up in the corner. He's getting pretty good at it and can even go from thing to thing now, like the couch to the coffee table. When we're all playing in the basement, I move things around to set up a little "course" for him so he can all the way across the room and he has the best time!

Thankfully, the little standing incident from last month seems to have been a fluke since he has yet to repeat it. I'm hoping this means the walking is still a ways off... we're rooting for not until his first birthday because seriously, it's hard enough to keep up with him crawling all over the place and trying to hurt himself. He nearly went down the basement stairs two days ago... we are having to retrain ourselves to get back in the habit of replacing gates and shutting doors. Ben's doing better with it than Tom and I are!

He has managed to climb up a few stairs, but, in keeping with his personality, honestly doesn't seem interested in going for them all that often. Hooray!

He LOOOOOVES to be held and is a little spoiled in this respect. He's not a fan of strollers, though I've been working on this for short periods because I know we're going to need to use the stroller at least a little bit on our vacation next week. Also because my right bicep is starting to look freakishly larger than my left one.

He still doesn't babble very much, just coos, squeals and raspberries and his recent discovery, tongue clucking, though I did hear a random "da!" this morning. I'm hoping the ear tubes will get him moving on this, mostly for the selfish reason that I really want him to say a few words for us soon and to hear his little voice... I just can't wait to hear what nickname he coins for his big brother in babytalk. :) Tom's was nicknamed "Bubby" for the longest time, thanks to his little brother's babytalk. Heh. (I had that backwards the first time I wrote it, btw)

Despite the quietness, Simon does understand a lot of what we say though and one of his favorite games that he just thinks is HILARIOUS is "Can you give that to mommy?" "Thank you!!!" "Mommy will give it to Simon." It's so cute how he stretches out his pudgy little hand to give you whatever you ask for and then giggles when you take it from him. ;)

Sleep is touch and go. Some nights, 13 hours straight, other nights, up at midnight to eat and then back to sleep... still OTHER nights (but thankfully we haven't had one of these in awhile) he pulls the wake up, let's play for two hours nonsense. For the ear tube surgery, we are rooting for one of those 13-hour nights on Tuesday or at least a midnight wakeup and not a 2a.m. wakeup. Please, God, please.

Still no teeth. Weird, I tell you!

I will probably get an official height and weight at his pre-op doctor's appointment this afternoon, but as far as my scale and tape measure are concerned, he's 21.5 pounds and 26.5 inches. It's strange... I tried an outfit on him the other day that I SWORE he was busting the snaps open on a month ago, and it fit perfectly. So he must be growing more up and not out these days. I'll be interestd to see where he is at his 9-month checkup next month.

These days, he's chowing down on about eh... 24-26 ounces of formula, three meals a day (same as last month) and TONS of Puffs. OH how he loves the Puffs. :) We haven't tried any other finger foods yet because he scared me to death a few nights ago when he managed to break off an inch-long bit of biter biscuit and choke on it. Gah. Someone needs to give me refresher on how to introduce foods like that without giving myself a heart attack. We have started him on a sippy cup and he makes a huge mess. (I take those little no-spill things out because they just frustrate babies, I've found... they'll go back in when he's older) I'm hoping he's as easy to wean off the bottle as Ben was, but he does have a fondness for it that Ben never had so I have some concerns there. ;)

The usual diaper/nipple update: Size 3's still (and seems like he will be for awhile.. at least I hope so because I just bought another 174-count case of them) and we just moved up to the size 4 nipples.

He's such a good little baby and is really fitting in well with his "along for the ride" role as second child. ;) He adjusts so well to being carted back and forth to drop Ben off at school on those two days and just moves his nap accordingly. I always feel badly when I have to wake him up to drag him somewhere or when he's not in his crib for his nap. But he doesn't seem to mind. He remains super easy going and just so cuddly and happy. :)

ETA: 8-month side-by-side Yeah, THIS outfit went RIGHT into the box for the attic. Getting it on him was like stuffing a sausage!!

No comments: