Search This Blog

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Seriously?

I snapped this picture just before Simon and I left to go pick up Ben from school this afternoon. (good light and he was just being cute) :)


So anyway, please note the outfit. Head to toe baby blue (you can't see his toes, but trust me, blue).

20 minutes later, I stood in the stairwell of the preschool with Simon in my arms in this outfit. The woman behind me was cooing at him and said to me, "So cute. Is your baby a boy or a girl?"

Really?!

Now, I'm not one to get offended at this question as I understand that babies are kind of unisex looking. (Maybe I'd get more prickly about it if I had a dainty little girl who was contantly getting mistaken for a boy... but whatever...)

I mean, not to be all gender stereotypey but he was dressed entirely in blue... and with toy trains on his hat! I'm not sure he could have looked more boyish if I had him in a shirt that said, "Hey. I'm a dude."

So said, of course, "He's a boy." Then I waited for the usual "Wow. He's huge!" comment. But instead, she said, "Oh, really? I thought for sure he was a girl!" She continued talking to him and then said this two more times.

I just... I'm at a loss for words I guess...hrm...

No comments: