Search This Blog

Saturday, March 09, 2013

Cousins Playdate...

It's so nice to have cousins who live close by. And they live even closer now, which is awesome. Next goal is to get our other sister-in-law to move nearby and basically have a (very spread out) family compound.

Simon and Anastasia are 3-1/2 months apart in age, and did not used to get along as well as they do now. This was mostly due to Simon and his grumpy phase he went through between age 2-4... also that they used to see each other so often at family events that we're pretty sure they saw each other as siblings.

Thankfully, he has mostly grown out of his grumpy phase at this point and, because we're all so much busier these days, there are WAY less full-family events --  so now they are good friends. In fact, Anastasia is one of our favorite people to have over for a playdate because they enjoy each other's company so much these days.

Some recent group playdates have not gone so well for Simon. Oddly, despite his "big and tough" exterior, we have discovered that hanging with groups of boys, especially older ones, is not really his thing. We had a near disaster the other day where we went over to a friend's house and a tackle football game erupted with the older boys. He was SO on the outs of that situation...  probably would have walked home if he knew the way. (tough situation given that I have one son who was SO happy to be there and all about this kind of playing and a third who is happy to be right in the middle of the big boys!)

Anyway, so I asked to borrow my niece after school one day and yesterday, I brought her home from school with the boys. They were SO excited. The two of them immediately disappeared into Simon's room where they built Legos for awhile. Then they moved on to the downstairs and built pillow forts for a solid hour or so. They drew some pictures, cut out some snowflakes and then, after dinner, spent the rest of the time building with magnet blocks.  Peas in a pod.

At dinner, they talked about school and their favorite things and who in their respective classes breaks the rules and doesn't listen. Such a funny conversation. :)

I'm sort of hoping some of Anastasia's independence will rub off on Simon. She does absolutely EVERYTHING for herself... it fascinates me. Is it the difference between girls and boys? Or just personality? Or maybe I'm just a lazy mom... LOL.  I don't know... but yesterday, she went to put her mittens on and I watched her lay them out in front her her and compare hands to mittens to figure out which way they went on. So. cute.  Whatever it is, I'm hoping Simon picks it up! ;)

Anyway, so we had fun... I took her home a little earlier than I was going to because she seemed a little worn out from a case of the sniffles and wasn't as perky and chatty as she usually is. Thought maybe she had had a long day. It was such a nice couple hours though!




1 comment:

erin said...

aw, SO sweet. it makes me really sad that mollie will not grow up around my brother's little girl and be close like that. i think cousin friendships are really something special. mike practically grew up with his large group of cousins and most of them are still close to this day.

and btw, yes...i think the independence thing maybe be a female trait. of course every personality is different, but mollie has wanted to do everything herself since she could walk. she INSISTS upon it.