Wow. That was total insanity. So the deal is the school doesn't include the kids' teacher assignments in the welcome back letter so you HAVE to attend this open house thing to find out who your teacher is. 450 kids x 2-3 parents/grandparents/babysitters/siblings per kid equals A LOT OF FREAKING PEOPLE. And did I mention the school has oh, about 25 parking spaces? I parked hm... about 3/4 of the way between our house and the school. Yeah, long walk in 99% humidity. Good times.
We made our way to the (non airconditioned!) gym for the teacher assignment. Supposedly, the lines were in alphabetical order, except that there was so many people standing in front of the signs that had the letters on them, it was near impossible to tell which line was yours. Took me three tries and some help from my neighbors. (thanks Mike and Jess!)
Finally, we arrived at the table and were handed the teacher assignment I have been waiting for oh so impatiently... and.... NOT the teacher I was hoping for. I'm not sure I masked the disappointment well either. (sigh)
Anyway, off to room K-2 to check it out and meet the teacher.
THIS was the bright spot. The room was inviting and colorful and SO BIG. They have their own bathroom and there is so much to see and do. Ben immediately took note of the Lego table, his cubby and the listening center. He kinda didn't want to leave, but I promised him we'd be back on Monday.
The teacher was friendly. But she really won points with me because:
a) She had Ben's name on his cubby as "Ben" and not Thomas. Every other piece of school communication, including the teacher assignment we picked up, had him as THOMAS, even though I meticulously filled out every single form to say he goes by Benjamin.
b)She reminds me of Ben's preschool teacher from this past year, and...
c) She has two sons, which means she has lived with, raised and survived two boys of her own... I had hoped and prayed for a teacher who "got" little boys, because honestly, I think teachers who REALLY understand boys are hard to find. So there you go. I knew he'd end up just where he was supposed to be., even if it wasn't where I had my heart set on originally. :)
A neighbor's son has had her before and she says that although she did not find this teacher to be particularly warm and fuzzy, her son never had a bad word to say about her. So that's good to know....
Annnnnyway, so that's over and done with. We pretty much high-tailed it out of there and skipped the picnic because it was so hot and Simon was a little freaked by the loud music. (there was a dj on the playground)
So, kindergarten, ready or not, here we come! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment