Search This Blog

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Erin vs. Nature

The ants, with whom I had been attempting to peacefully coexist (since no amount of Raid seemed to keep them away for long), crossed the line yesterday when they invaded my pantry. It was a good excuse to clean the pantry from top to bottom, but still, no more peaceful coexistence. After garnering a good amount of ant advice from my Facebook friends, I went out to Home Depot this morning and procured some Terro bait. I was told it would attract the ants in HUGE numbers at first, as they came to drink its wonderful sugary goodness. Then it lets them live long enough to take the Borax it's laced with back to all of their family and friends and most importantly, The Queen. Dun dun DUN!

I took it out to the patio, which has been TEAMING with ants lately. I followed the directions and put it on the little orange squares. I quickly found the ants bypassed the orange squares for whatever had dripped OFF the squares. Then I went to town. The ants, they came from MILES, forming a near solid black line to get to the stuff. I went nuts and even got a little creative as I baited the perimeter of the patio.


I put some on Fratboy's patio too, since there were at least a hundred thousand of them over there.


While I was out there, I also inspected some of our other "pets". Here's the robin's nest. Currently it has four lovely blue eggs in it. The really cool thing is that if you go up on the deck and look through the crack above this nest, you look RIGHT in! So cool. I can't wait for the babies to hatch. The momma has been vigalently sitting on them. :)


Here's a little friend who hopped out from behind a plant to see what had the ants all riled up. He turned himself the exact same shade as the patio.


And here's some nature I DON'T like... ew.


And our wonderful wasp friends. We knocked their nest down last night and they were bakc to work rebuilding this morning. GRRR...


We also have a family of bunnies living out front in our garden. Squeee... no pictures of them though because I haven't seen them for a few days. I hope they are okay! :)

Here's what happens when you use Terro INSIDE. Gag. Hurl. I think it's safe to say we've figured out where they were coming in. Gah. They weren't kiddin' when they said I'd see a TON of ants when first put it down.

No comments: