Search This Blog

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Interesting Evening...

We played outside yesterday from about 3:30 until 5:45, during which time Ben swam and ran and rode his bike nonstop. That is, until 5:45 when he abruptly stopped his bike in front of me on the neighbor's lawn and said, "Mommy. I want to go inside."

(record scratch sound effect)

"You want to go inside? Why?"

"My ear really hurts."

Seriously?!

Never, in all those first two years of ear infections prior to the tubes did Ben say or act like his ears actually hurt, so this must have been REALLY bad. I leapt into action and ran him back across the street. Thankfully, Tom was on his way home and by the time I had called the pediatrician (who by some divine miracle was still at the office at 6p.m. on a Friday?!) and was set to walk out the door, he was coming up the front stairs. I threw Simon at him and sped off with Ben.

15 minutes later the diagnosis was confirmed. The familiar song and dance of ear infection, antibiotics, see you in two weeks, Walgreens to drop off and back again to pick up.

By 8:15, Ben had his first dose of medicine, plus some Tylenol to top off the Motrin he had had 2-1/2 hours before.

Sheesh. Just when you think life is uneventful...

I should add that while the tubes were absolutely wonderful when they were functioning, now that they are in the process of falling out (as they are supposed to do), it seems we are back to square one. This is the second ear infection he has had since the tubes started to come out. I think he's just going to continue to get e.i.'s with every cold until he grows out of it or gets the tubes replaced... honestly, neither option sounds particularly appealing. I'm thankful we had a couple years there where he wasn't on antibiotics so often and I didn't have to have this worry though, so I do still think ear tubes are worth it. But (sigh)....

No comments: