Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2005

What do YOU Think?

I took Ben to try out a Kindermusik class this morning. I'm always looking for interesting things to get us out of the house plus, Ben could really use the interaction with groups of kids his age. He loves music, so I thought this would be perfect.

Wow. How WRONG I was.

It started out okay, I guess. The class started and they were supposed to sit in a circle and sing the hello song. Ben ran off, which is fine, some of the other kids did too. It's only after 8 weeks of Gymboree that he finally "gets" circle time there and doesn't run off as much.

After that, there was more singing. But there was a little football in the room that Ben spotted and so he kept going to get it. A couple of other times, another child would get it and Ben would get PISSED off. Okay, so we really need to work on sharing. He's an only child right now and isn't in groups of kids often. That's why we're here. Again, fine.

Then things started to go downhill. The teacher brought out a box full of instruments... bells, tamborines, xylophones, cymbals. Ben decided he liked this little bell (basically one piece of a xylophone with a mallet). Another little girl had it. He pitched a ROYAL fit. The teacher brought out a second one and he was happy happy happy. I decided now was not the time to teach him that he couldn't have the bell just because he pitched a fit... I just wanted the screaming to stop already.

They got to play with their instruments for about five minutes and then they had to PUT THEM BACK IN THE BOX.

What would YOUR two-ish child have done at this point? I knew what mine was going to do and it did NOT involve putting that bell back in the box. For some reason the other children, all the same age went along with this crazy plan and surrendered their instruments like little angels. Now, I know my kid can be a little challenging... but come on... you give him something new and cool to play with for FIVE minutes and then make him give it back? How many of your kids would have gone along with this without a fight?!

The teacher said he could hold onto it and that when he got distracted we'd hide it. She got out some jingle bells for them to play along with the song. Ben was all, "Dude. I've seen jingle bells before. They are SO two weeks ago. I have this xylophone piece and I'm NOT giving it up." THought finally, at one point, he dropped it and I hid it. Then he noticed and FAH-reaked out. I had to take him out of the room he was screaming so loud.

Eventually, he regained his composure long enough to march to a fiddle song and bounce his hands to the beat. THAT'S why I thought he's like this class. "There's my kid!" I thought...

Then she brought out a recorder to play a goodbye song. Now, Ben HAS a recorder so he thought it was his god-given right to go try and take it from her and was REALLY ticked off when she was only going to let him put his fingers over the holes while she played. More screaming.

THEN, apparently after this class is over, they get to go to an adjoining room to this play area. I let him play for a few minutes and then just wanted to get the heck out of there and put Mr. Pissy Pants down for his nap. That was when he threw the biggest kicking, screaming tantrum I have EVER seen out of him. It was NOT pretty.

I have a feeling if we went for a few weeks, he'd eventually get the routine and it might be a little better. But I don't think I want to spend $150 to find out that it won't. I just don't feel like they do any of the activities for enough time! I mean, I have the attention span of a toddler sometimes and the going from thing to thing every five minutes even got on MY nerves.

My review? Kindermusik, thumbs down, at least for this age. He gets more out of when my dad plays the guitar for him or I put on cd's and we dance and sing together at home.

What I want to know from you is... is it appropriate for me not to expect my almost-two-year-old to give up his instrument? (or the little football?) Should I have made him and then just suffered through the screaming that would have ensued? At home, he generally gets to play with something until he loses interest in it... but if I need him to stop for some reason, he's agreeable and easy to distract... so it's not like he's completely spoiled in that regard. And sharing? We're WORKING on it... but come ON.

Jen, be GLAD you did not go with us. I have a feeling Ben and Ryan may had similar experiences... (I KNOW I am not alone with this type of kid I have here...)

No comments: