Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Lefty Righty….

Jonathan is the only one of my kids to dilly dally about picking a dominant hand. (for those keeping score we have one of each at this point, so Jonathan is the tie-breaker)

The psychologist who tested him last year thought he seemed like he had more control with his left hand. The OT who sees him currently at preschool says the opposite and has been pushing him to write with his right hand.

At home, he switches constantly when he writes, but he cuts left-handed and eats left-handed. This made me inclined to question the OT's right-handed assumption and I wasn't sure I wanted him being pushed to use the wrong hand. I emailed the kindergarten teacher and his preschool teacher. His preschool teacher says he switches a lot in class, uses all left one day, all right the next and both on another. The kindergarten teacher (who knows the OT because she works at the elem. school) told me they generally want them to have chosen a hand by mid-kindergarten, but that she nor the OT would ever force anything. She also told me some different things to try to experiment and see what I observed.

Shortly after that, he started drawing on his easel, so I whipped out the camera.  Well, today anyway he is most certainly right handed! LOL!

I had to laugh after I had just told the two teachers it's confusing because he switches all the time….

I sent the video to the kindergarten teacher saying, "I should have known not to question the expert!" (meaning the OT)

She wrote back, "Yeah. I'd say right-handed!!"

Is he or isn't he? Now I'm inclined to say with writing anyway, we have another righty!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Lefty.