Search This Blog

Monday, March 09, 2015

Lego Club….

Lego Club yesterday for Simon for the first time in WEEKS thanks to snow and ice.

I love Lego Club and HE loves Lego Club… but, he's kind of a show-off and I have to figure out how to rein him in just a little. The whole time the dad who teaches the Scratch part is talking, Simon will interrupt him with things like, "Like this? I made a project that does THIS." or "I already know how to do that!" OMG. It's embarrassing. I have to hover over him in fear of what's going to come out of his mouth.

(In his defense, he does usually already know how to do it as they are working on basics right now and he spends so much time fiddling with it, that he has figured out almost all of that stuff on his own.)

It's a fine line between encouraging your kids at something they truly have a knack for and turning them into prideful, obnoxious little monsters.  We ran into this with Ben and swimming a little bit too with some braggy-ness and sore loser, poor winner behavior, though I think we have finally gotten to the point where he mostly understands how to be both respectful, gracious, and a good sport at meets.

In addition to the fact that humility and tact is a learning curve for pretty much ALL kids, it REALLY doesn't help that my kids don't pick up on social cues easily. So when Simon interrupts the teacher and says, "I can already do that, it's easy!" I say, "Simon! Shh! That's really rude!", he looks at and both thinks and SAYS out loud," "WHAT? Is IS so easy!"

(facepalm)

Kids. Who knew the easy part was actually when they were non-sleeping newborns? No one tells you this!

No comments: