Search This Blog

Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Red Mile...

This morning was going so well... I got up extra early, so I could be showered, dressed and completely ready to deal with Ben when he got up. I got Simon fed and dressed too and had Tom take the diaper bag and Ben's Valentine's treats out to the car for me on his way out so I didn't have to think about managing all that.

Ben, of course, then woke up screaming about it being a school day (and about Tom going to work), but after Tom left, he actually calmed down. I spend some extra time snuggling with him and he helped me pick out his outfit for school... he giggled at things Simon was doing. I let him pick granola bars for breakfast, which he was excited about and I made him special pink Valentine's day milk, which made me briefly, the coolest mom ever.

After that, we watched some shows together and played a little... things were going REALLY well and I was beginning to think I'd really look like a silly mom when we got there and he was perfectly fine like nothing was ever wrong in the first place.

Then it came time to leave and I was no longer the coolest mom ever, even though I kept pointing out the pink milk and reminding him how cool he thought I was just 30 minutes prior.

He got upset about putting his coat on but I distracted him with what we could listen to in the car and promised him a special surprise on his carseat when I picked him up from school. (thanks, Jen!) :) He was fine... until about five minutes from school when he realized I wasn't kidding and we WERE actually going there. "I want you to turn around, I want to go a different way, I want every day to be Saturday, I want it to snow, I want you to make school shut down!!" And so on.

He was pretty worked up all the way in... another mom stopped to ask me if she could take Simon for me. I declined because then I'd have two screamers. (so fun having both of them go through their own age-appropriate separation anxiety at the same time!!!) Then she tried to talk to to Ben about the fun Valentine's Day party. Note to moms: DO NOT TRY TO CONSOLE ANOTHER MOM'S KID. IT USUALLY JUST MAKES THINGS WORSE. I realize her intentions were good, but seriously, by the time I got him down the stairs and through the doors, he was gagging and coughing he was so upset. (and also to that well-meaning mom, do you really think I didn't try talking up the fun V'day stuff?!)

And then came what I have now coined the Red Mile... the oh so very long walk across the Big Room and the red rug with the screaming child. It seemed like it took forEVER to get to his classroom... I wasn't worried about what everyone was thinking because I do know this happens every day there... but I just felt so bad for him and was barely keeping it together myself... and I knew what I had to do when we got to the room...

His teachers were prepared too... Mrs. Poe came right out and took over, helping him take his coat off. Then she just picked him up. Then he turned the scream volume up to 11, The "No Mommy PLEEEEEEASE DON'T GOOOOOOOOOOO!" was a particularly nice touch. I handed his V'day stuff off to Miss Katharine and got the heck out of there. Another mom (actually the mom of a rather consistent cryer) mouthed "it'll be okay" from across the room as I practically ran out the door. I couldn't stop to talk or I would have lost it.

I didn't call, instead just went home and puttered around with Simon waiting to see if I'd get a phone call to come get him.

I DID get a phone call... I thought for SURE it was not good, but it was Mrs. Poe on the other end calling to tell me he calmed down about five minutes after I left after yelling at them for a while about "make my mommy come back RIGHT NOW!!!". He was happy and participating in the activities. :) Happy sigh of relief here. Krystyna also emailed to tell me her mom had called her and said Ben had calmed down and was excited to see the class goody bags they were putting together. :)

And so, until Tuesday, all is well with the world...

Oh, and the treat on his carseat is going to be popcorn. He LOVES popcorn. :) Though, on our way out of the house this morning, his godmother stopped by with a bag full of Valentine's day treats, so my popcorn may take a backseat to the two new Star Wars figures. :P

No comments: