(sigh)
Ben is a challenging kid. I will admit that. He is picky and sensitive and emotional all bundled into one. I learned early on pretty on that he doesn't tolerate change well, that he thrives on routine and that, most of all, you never EVER try to rush him because he needs a good deal of transition time. So I thought I had broken the Ben code. Yes, we have our moments, but for the most part, I understand him and we get through our days with minimal conflict.
Lately though, he's been more difficult. Specifically, the last three times he's had to go to school, he has fought me on it. Usually it's because he wants to sleep more (he has suddenly become an ANTI-morning person)... but today, he told me "school takes too long" and that he wanted to go other places. He HAS to go to school... I mean, I guess not technically right now, but I know I can't give into this, not even once. So I ended up having to forceably dress him. He kicked and screamed and spent the rest of the hour before we left in his bed. I wrestled him into his coat at 8:45 and we got to the car where I gave him a juice and granola bar since he had refused breakfast earlier. Generally, once we get this far, things are okay... we get to school, he goes in, later, I pick him up, he's happy.
Not today.
He dragged his feet all the way, started crying when we hit the door and by the time we got to his classroom he was in full-on tantrum mode. Everyone was puzzled because he's NEVER done this there... SIL's mom was subbing for his teacher today, so when I left, she was taking care of him, which did this mommy's heart good. But seriously, WHAT IS UP WITH HIM?!? It worries me because it's very out of character.
I'm certain it's not the school. He likes his teachers. He likes his friends. As far as I can tell, he has fun. I know it's a wonderful place and I'm confident nothing has happened there that has been a negative experience. He's HAPPY when he's there... it's just getting him there. (with the exception of today) I half expect him to projectile vomit on me or have a fever when I pick him up because for him to act like that... it's just weird.
I thought about it all the way home and what I can do to nip this in the bud. I have tried prepping him the night before... telling him the next morning is school, letting him pick out an outfit that he agrees he will wear without complaint. My only other thought is to create a routine chart... "Get out of bed, go potty, brush teeth, get dressed, eat breakfast...etc". I just don't know. I can't have another morning like today... it was SO frustrating and horrible. I don't WANT to have to force him to get dressed or carry him to the car and leave him at school crying. (sigh) I feel like much of this morning's conflict was that things weren't happening on his timetable. (remember what I said about never rushing him? When he was a baby, if I had to rush to be somewhere and he sensed it, it was a guaranteed screamfest) But he FORCED us to be rushed... I got him up in plenty of time and even told him he could watch a show or part of a movie if he got dressed and ate breakfast quickly enough.
For what it's worth, I called halfway home and the woman who answered checked on him for me. Apparently, he had to pee pee and once he did that, he was fine.
Argh.
No comments:
Post a Comment