Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2004

Living the Slow Life...

I think the first thing I learned about life with a baby is that you can't rush ANYthing. If I want to get somewhere by 11a.m. for example, I need to get moving by 7a.m.

Ben needs at least 20 minutes, sometimes more, to finish a bottle... then there's bathing, dressing and diaper changing. Try to rush any of these and all you get is a screaming baby.

Then there are the unforeseen things that send us right back to square one: he pees on me while I'm getting him dressed, poops in the fresh diaper, spits formula all over himself... etc.

Plus, the kiddo must be well rested, so naps can't be skipped or skimped on if it's avoidable. So that eats up a couple of hours.

And lastly, I have to gather all of the acoutrements that must be carted along with baby. Fully loaded diaper bag, extra pacifier, blanket, toys...

...and don't even get me started about trying getting mySELF dressed, fed and out the door with everything I need in tow. I don't think I have yet to get anywhere without forgetting at least one thing since I've had Ben.

I've discovered the key to getting out of the house without the baby and I both getting all stressed out is to just do one thing at a time-- except when he naps... then, and only then can I multitask. ;)

I can't be quite as punctual as I used to be and it's taken a LOT of getting used to. Sometimes I'll think I want to go out somewhere and the very idea of getting the baby together to get out of the house is just way too overwhelming. It's easier most days to just let him do his thing here at home and putter around the house. I figure I'll get more of a life when he's older... HRM...why do I feel like I'm going to eat those words someday in the future?

No comments: