There was a whole thread today on my pregnancy/baby message board concerning the use of a "binky." I don't understand all the uproar, frankly. The hospital gave Ben a pacifier when he was circumcised and he's had one ever since. He probably only uses it 2-4 hours a day, mostly after he eats and he wants to keep sucking. I was worried becore I had him because my mother-in-law is very anti-pacifier. She's been really nice about not making too many comments about it though... and I try my best not to get it out when we're at their house so she can see that I'm not just shoving it in his mouth at the first peep he makes.
I agree that a toddler running around with a plug hanging out of his mouth is not really a good thing. But I don't plan on letting Ben have it that long. It comforts him, and he hasn't found his hands yet, so what else am I supposed to do? It's definitely not the first thing I go to to soothe him... I try everything else first. And actually, there are times when he doesn't even want it when he's upset!
I am a little annoyed with one aspect of the binky though. Ben isn't old enough yet to figure out how to put it back in when he loses it. So if he falls asleep with it at night, we're in for a long night of getting up and replacing it over and over again. In that respect, I definitely wish he'd give it up in favor of his fingers. We'd all get better sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment