This morning Tom and I went to our first class at the hospital. Today's topic was how labor begins. Weeeeeeee!!!! It was actually really interesting, especially the part with the plastic pelvis and the baby doll in the crocheted uterus. ;) (very high-tech)
After we went around and did our introductions, it turns out we are the only people in the class having a boy. Argh. Well, actually, in fairness, there were three couples who didn't know what they are having... so maybe we're not as alone as it seems.
Also, I was amazed at how little some of these people know about pregnancy and childbirth. I mean, yeah, we're all first-timers, but do none of them watch the Discovery Channel? And I am I the only one who has read "What to Expect WHen You're Expecting?" (like, cover-to-cover the minute I found out I was pregnant). Hey, I like to know what I'm in for! Don't other people?
But seriously, this class is making this whole experience very very VERY real. At some point, this child has to come out or be forceably evicted. How weird. Next week we take the tour of the maternity unit... that should be fun. Eek.
OH! We learned about some hospital policies I was previously unaware of:
(pay attention readers, because some of these might apply to you)
1) Because of the current flu situation, from now until the end of March, no children under the age of 12 are allowed in the maternity unit.
2) Only two people are allowed in the labor/delivery room at a time during all of labor. People can tag-team visit up until the pushing stage, then I have to pick two people and stick with them until it's over.
3) Only FOUR people are allowed in my room at any one time after the baby is born. With two families, extended families and family friends all clamoring to see baby, this might present a problem. We'll see...
I also was a little disappointed to find out that I don't stay in the same room the whole time. I am in a room for labor, delivery and recovery (about an hour after the baby is born). Then they move me to the mother/baby unit. It's still a private room... but.... yuck.. who wants to move after all of that? Ah well..
That's all for now. More updates later! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment