Search This Blog

Thursday, January 29, 2004

My Pet Political Issue...

I've never had a pet political issue, and I've never wanted a pet political issue. In fact, I would rather beat my head against a wall than talk politics. But I can't ignore this particular problem. First, some background.

I found out on Monday that my doctor was withdrawing from all insurance plans because she is simply NOT getting paid enough to allow her to pay her consistently rising malpractice premiums and still stay in practice. This is the first I had ever really heard (or more likely, paid attention to) this problem.

I am saddened by this situation... especially after reading her letter to her patients and after seeing her once a month for almost 8 months now. I know she cares deeply about what she does. Delivering babies and taking care of women is her life. It must be such a hard decision to give that up. But the current state of the insurance industry leaves her no choice.

I have since learned that this is an increasingly common problem. There was an ad in this week's Towson Times from another OB/GYN in Timonium who shutting her practice down for this very same reason. The first article below is about her. The other one is about how doctors are trying to fight back.

Article #1

Article #2

Here's a website where you can contact your representatives to help change the current insurance/malpractice laws.

This all comes down to the greed of large insurance companies and lawyers. I was horrified to find out that Blue Cross/Blue Shield/Carefirst is one of the worst offenders. According to my OB, they haven't changed what they are willing to pay her in reimbursements since 1993! And yet, her malpractice premium last year went up to $90,000!!! It's absolutely ridiculous! First doctors are forced to close their practices... the next stage is the quality of medical care is going to suffer substantially!

Please take some time to learn about this issue because it's only a matter of time before it affects you too, particularly if you are a woman. Obstetrics and Gynecology are among the lowest compensated specialities in medicine!

:: stepping off soap box ::