Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

6-Year Well Visit..

And my 6-year-old now tips the scales at a staggering 39 pounds and 42 inches. (insert sarcastic laugh)

Although this visit, he did manage to move up from the 3rd and 5th percentiles to being solidly in the 10th, so I guess that's something. The doctor doesn't seem concerned about his size, since he has always followed basically the same growth curve. He did, however, suggest that when I get a chance, I keep a five-day food diary and drop it off for him to look at. He asked if any other children in the extended family had similar growth patterns. At first I drew a blank and then DUH, I remembered my niece is basically following Ben's exact growth curve (though on the girl version, obviously). So yeah, that helped Ben's case a little so thanks, Anastasia! He seemed to think that, although Ben will clearly never be a giant, that he will hit a growth spurt at some point, probably around puberty, and ultimately end up at least close to his father and Graff uncles' heights.... so we'll see!

Other than just being born to be a small kid, he's very healthy and all looks well. Vision and hearing were perfect and everything else looks good too! :) No shots or any other traumatizing events! Hooray!

6 comments:

Twinkletoes said...

Great news! Jake is on the same, exact curve. I am convinced he will need a carseat to drive in 10 years!

Erin said...

LOL! Heck yeah and I'll be darned if he's getting out of that 5-point-harness until he's 12!

Joan S. said...

Doctors were very concerned about my almost-30-year-old son for years--from the time he was about 18 months old (and weighed less than 20 pounds)until the military doctor in charge of the case transferred when T was about 3 or 4. We did the food diaries, tests for cystic fibrosis and other diseases, etc. He is FINE. While he is never mistaken for a pro basketball player, he is not abnormally short, either. I am sure as you continue to take excellent care of your children (nutritious food, minimal junk food, lots of exercise and mental stimulation) they will all grow up to be wonderful, happy adults-just like mine. :)

Lynda said...

Hi Erin
Damian as you know is now an adult but as a child he was always the smallest boy in the class. At one stage they even considered giving him growth hormone!!!
At the age of around 16 he had a massive growth spurt, he is no tall man but he is 5.9 which is not so bad!

Erin said...

Well, as I told the doctor, I've never really been particularly concerned about it. It really wasn't even much on my radar until I saw the medical records before we transferred them that said "small for age" all over the place and "poor feeding!!!" from when he was in the hospital when he was born. Even still, my concern is with his self-esteem as related to his size than his size itself, honestly. It has started to become a sensitive issue recently. And having a "little" brother who is above average in size, especially in HEIGHT, really doesn't help.

And hey, we'll take 5'9"! ;)

Twinkletoes said...

That's us - our daughter is in the 95%ile for height...she weighs just two pounds less than her two year older brother.