We tried out the Gymboree preschool class today and...
... it went SO well. I wasn't even sure I was going to do it today because Benjamin got up REALLY early this morning and I was sort of expecting some mid afternoon crankiness. But after lunch, when it came time to decide, I asked if he wanted to go play with Miss Sue (the teacher) and he said "Yeah! I'll play Star Wars!!!" (big shock). He remained enthusiastic... so we went!
The setup is very VERY cute. The first ten minutes, the moms are in the room... we do puzzles and then this little routine with a rainbow rope (they use it to identify colors and do various other things... today we played a "freeze" game with it). Then, they blow kisses to the moms and we leave! Benjamin didn't even bat an eye. Then again, he was playing with three other little boys who have as much energy as he does, so he was in seventh heaven.
I have the option of leaving for the hour and half or hanging around just outside the room. Since I wasn't sure how it was going to go, I stayed... the teacher popped her head out twice to tell me he was doing wonderfully. He was listening to directions and participating in all the activities! Yay! I was worried for nothing... I did hear them telling him to sit down an awful lot, but I heard the other kids names called out for the same reason just as often. ;)
The other funny thing I heard was him yell out that "Palpatine" (it's a Star Wars thing) starts with the letter P. (the letter of the day) ::snicker::
There are three other kids in the class. One of them we know from our old class (Ben's little friend, Kenny), and his mom said most weeks she hangs out in the lobby too. Today she ran out to the mall for a little while but then came back and we chatted until the class was over.
At the end, we got the okay from both teachers for him to move into the class! :) So yay! I'm excited... this is the perfect transition to a more traditional preschool for next year. He is independent from me, learning to take direction from teachers and socializing without me there to intervene when gets tackled or gets a block thrown at him. (or when he does this to any other kids for that matter!) I think it's going to be a really great experience!
No comments:
Post a Comment