I got an email from Ben's reading teacher while I was sitting in the pickup line waiting for him this afternoon. It said:
"Check out Ben's writing activity that I sent home today! 10 out of 10!!!"
I replied that the suspense was killing me. She wrote back:
"Let me know if it gets lost on the way home, I made a copy of it!"
Of course, we got to the car and he had left his folder in his desk. So I shooed him back inside to get it. He was NOT happy with me, but he went anyway. And when he returned, I pulled out the assignment, which he had done twice. The second one had a giant shiny sticker and an 10/10 with a nice note from Mrs. K. on it.
In the meantime, she sent me another email:
"I was happy he redid it correctly and with enthusiasm! He even said that he knew he didn't follow directions!"
The topic had to do with the book they are reading in class. But the important part was that he had followed all the directions and done the assignment completely and really, really well.
I am so proud. Fourth quarter, but better late than never, right?
Later, she emailed to tell me that his work has been really consistently complete and well-done basically since they came back from spring break. That timing is no coincidence and maybe I'll get into the "why" part of that someday on here... but for now, I'll say it validates some things we've been working on on our end.
Anyway, so yeah... the only Bs on his report card this past quarter were in reading and written language. So maybe he can make straight As for the fourth quarter! That would be so awesome and such a great end to a really fantastic year all-around.
I also love that this teacher took the time to email me. I sometimes get down because I feel like these teachers are SO busy and have so many kids to worry about that Ben's troubles are a little trivial in comparison to a lot of what they deal with. So it means a lot that she took a minute to rave about something he did and that she really really seemed proud of him too.
Realllllllly rooting for her to maybe switch grades and be his teacher next year too. Maybe? I hope? I like to latch onto the good ones and keep them around! ;)
6 comments:
Are they reading My Side of the Mountain? I loved that book as a kid!
They are! He LOVES this book... his favorite one they've read this year.
Could you list some of the books that they have read? I am really struggling with Micah to get into his books and read independently... Even outside of school books that as a boy, he has loved?? Thanks Erin! Tell Ben his paper is awesome!
Let's see... this year, they did:
Balto and the Great Race
something about the Titanic, but I can't remember what it was...?
Charlotte's Web
The Wizard of Oz
The Borrowers
My Side of the Mountain
Of those, Ben really liked the last three the best, I think.
He has also found a series called "Shark Wars" that has really engaged him. He also likes the lighter, quicker reads like the Big Nate Series and Wimpy Kid. :)
He's definitely more drawn to non-fiction though. Most of the stuff he really likes are reference-type books and that what really drives him to read for pleasure. Maybe Micah is similar? What topics is he interested in?
Erin, he just hates reading full stop! So anything. I wonder how I can find those books on his level...will have to have a good look =) He hasn't quite 'caught' on to reading. I think he is somewhat dyslexic or however you spell it... Will have a look for those. Thank you!
Well, an easier series to read would be the Magic Treehouse series. Ben loved those... also My Weird School or Beast Quest?
Ben also loved the Beverly Cleary books (Ralph S. Mouse, Ramona...)
Post a Comment