Search This Blog
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Relieved...
This post is probably going to be a mess. I hardly know where to start.
So, I mentioned before that we have been working on the "transition plan" for Jonathan with our Infants and Toddlers teacher, the speech and language pathologist and the OT. Recently, we also brought in the psychologist to add to the mix.
It all sounds crazy excessive if you know Jonathan these days, though it probably wouldn't have a year ago. Anyway, now, he's super social, he's hilariously funny, he smiles and laughs, sings and dances, and talks up a storm and he's SO smart. I really and truly don't think the majority of people, even after spending a lot of time with him, would think even for a minute there is anything different about him.
I've even wondered myself if I'm imagining things. If it weren't for the observations of his teachers to reassure me my gut instinct is right, I'd probably have just let it go by now and resigned myself to just having another quirky smart kid. (which is fine... that's how we breed 'em over here, apparently...) We'd transition out of Infants and Toddlers in August and move on with our lives and deal with whatever we need to as it comes up, as we've done with Ben.
Thankfully, I am very much NOT alone in my thinking, and after yesterday, even the psychologist is on board that there are some things -- behaviors, language, motor planning things that are definitely NOT typical.
At this point, NO one thinks he's autistic. So that's fantastic. (not that I thought he was, but I'm happy that's not on the table anymore... because I think for awhile it was... spoken or not)
The psychologist called this afternoon to followup after observing J at school yesterday. The short story is that she sees enough social, language and motor skills red flags that she thinks that can at least qualify him under something that I think she called -- Social Developmental Atypical something or other. (I was so happy when I realized what she was telling me that I may have tuned out some of the finer details...oops...) They are also taking Ben's history into account and my worries about Jonathan being so similar to him. (me? worried? anxious? What?!) At any rate, the gist is that this would allow for monitoring next year... meaning the psychologist would go visit him at school once a month or so and check in with his teacher and give her strategies to work with him. This would also allow for Cindy to check in with us once a quarter or so.
I can't even begin to tell you how relieved I am that he'll be able to start school with this support in place. (nothing's at all final until his team meeting in July... but everyone seems to think this is the very least we'll get... holding out distant hope for maybe a little more but we'll take this!!)
I am thrilled and really surprised. It really seemed like a lost cause. The really great thing about this plan is that if something comes up after he's three and he needs to restart full services, we're already in the system with I&T and we just pick up where we left off.
Big giant SIGH of relief. I feel like the most enormous weight has been lifted!!!
My whole goal has been to give Jonathan what Ben didn't get because I didn't know any better back then. He will benefit (and already has benefitted) from people knowing what to watch for and knowing how to help him at a very young age.
And I am so so so grateful to those who have helped Jonathan (AND me) along the way... especially Miss Cindy, who, has worked SO hard to figure out a way to help him keep getting services. If he doesn't qualify, it won't be for lack of effort on her part, that's for sure.
It seems like God keeps sending teachers my kids' way who are not only amazingly gifted at what they do, but LOVE what they do with their whole heart. It's beautiful and inspiring to see this in action and it brings tears to my eyes when I think about how blessed we have been this way.
So thankful. So very, very thankful.
Labels:
Jonathan,
Jonathan month 32,
speech

No comments:
Post a Comment