Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Update and a Half...

Where to start?

I guess Jonathan...

So he's basically given up his nap, except for the occasional car nap. It's kind of okay with me and makes things easier, though I'm not gonna lie, I miss the quiet time in the afternoon and he's not really the kind of kid who can be convinced to take "quiet time" in his room. I can, however, get him to lie on the couch with binky, ducky and Sesame Street or Super Why. So I guess I'll take it. He did fall asleep in the car on the way home from swimming today. I hope this is just ftom nap backlog and not that he's getting sick. :\

Potty training is still going. He's getting better about telling us. The weekends are hard because our routines are all different and Tom is not as on top of reminding him to go as I am, which kind of makes me crazy.  He tends to let him wander off and get distracted and that's when he always forgets and wets his pants. Frustrating... but it will come eventually. I'm just so happy for any progress at all! He has FILLED his star chart, which I seriously never thought he would do when I put it up. Time to print a new one and work toward a new prize. Not sure what this time though.... hrm....

He still hasn't worn underwear to school. School is going better, but he still gets teary in the morning until I hand him off to the teacher and then he's fine. I feel like I should probably not rock the boat by throwing pee demands on him at school and risk stressing him out. His teacher has enough on her plate with him in her class to be dealing with that.


Simon....

We stumbled upon a solution to his sad school mornings. He now hides one of his loveys in his backpack and it seriously turned him completely around and he is back to loving going to school again. I think it give shim security just to know it's there. Whatever works!

I was called in for a conference by his teacher last week. She has some concerns about his fine motor skills and his attention. He also doesn't participate in class very readily and she hasn't been able to figure out a way to motivate him on any of those things. We're looking into getting both evaluated and in the meantime, she's developing a checklist for him for the classroom that we will reward at home with "Minecraft Minutes". He will also get tickets for Minecraft Minutes at home when he practices writing or does a nice job on his homework. His teacher and I are completely on the same page and it's really fantastic. I loved not having to be the one to email and say, "Hey! I think something's up.... " Do I wish he would just coast along without the need for any conferences at all? Yes... but it's just nice to have the teacher be right there with me as far as what issues she sees and what he needs.

Interestingly, on my way out of the conference, she mentioned that he had done a really good job presenting his scrapbook page. (they had to make a scrapbook page of baby pictures and vacation pictures to show the class) She said he completely lit up and just talked and talked about all the photos... like a totally different kid. I had a lightbulb moment and said, "You know...  it's probably worth mentioning that he's a middle child and basically very stereotypically so... anytime something is all about him or special for him, he really gets excited."  She sent me an email yesterday morning that on Thursday and Friday she had experimented with that and that I was COMPLETELY RIGHT that when he's in the spotlight, he performs better and is way more motivated. So she is going to use that in her strategies... gotta love birth order psychology!!!


Ben....

Ben has decided that he hates swimming at the new place. He's anxious about some of the strokes and says the water is too cold. (it actually really REALLY is...he emerges all blue and shaking every week after an hour in there...  but I can't fix that!) He cries the entire time now. Last week, he wouldn't even get in. This SUCKS. Going to see if I can get a refund because it's kind of pointless. He is still all about doing swim team in the summer... so I guess I'll see if his swim teacher at our other place can just work with him on strokes. GAH.

School is going well, although we really seem to have hit a hiccup with math and this higher number multiplication. I may need to break my email silence and let the teacher know he needs some help. I have worked with him at home, but it sounds like he's not getting it in class...

Anyway so that's what's been going on! I have tons of pictures to share but they are trapped in my phone. It will no longer email pictures anywhere for some reason and they aren't showing up in my Photostream. Phone as camera is not working so well for me these days!!!

1 comment:

Periwinkle Jen said...

I love the lovey idea for Simon! Genius!
It's really great how well you know your kids- their strengths, their quirks and how to get the best out of them.