Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2005

Interesting Stuff...

I got copies of my OB records in the mail yesterday so I can take them with me to the new doctor. Even if you AREN'T switching doctors, I think everyone should do this! It's really REALLY interesting. The OB writes up a full account of your labor, delivery and recovery... mine is two pages long! It's typed so it's actually legible, unlike most of the rest of my records.

I learned, for instance that my stage 1 lasted 13 hours... wow, it didn't seem THAT long until I saw it spelled out. Stage 2 lasted an hour and a half and Stage 3 lasted four minutes. Now I can hold it over Benjamin's head every year on his birthday for the rest of his life. "It took me 14-1/2 hours to bring your giant head into this world, you better show some appreciation!" ;)

I also learned that apparently, I was "progressing well" until the epidural fell out. I wasn't aware of progressing at ALL... I felt like I was a big woosy-pants who couldn't even push for 10 seconds at a time.

What else... oh, she used the vacuum due to "late decelarations" (Ben's heartrate slowed down) and maternal exhaustion. (THAT's an understatement!) With the vacuum, he came out "easily" (her words, not mine) with one push.

What follows all that is the most awful description of ripping, tearing, stitching and swelling... Eaaagh. I'll spare you. Apparently, all that was worse than I remember it too. It even says the nurses called her back to my room three hours after I had Ben because they were so concerned. (didn't know that!) There were also issues with the placenta (they sent it off to pathology)... something about blood clots. I want to get some more information on that because it sounds like it's something that could have harmed the pregnancy at some point and that I just got lucky.

Anyway, all very interesting. Maybe not everyone would enjoy reading this stuff about something they lived through but I love all this medical stuff... Discovery Channel junkie and all. ;)

In other news, Benjamin didn't nap AT ALL yesterday. It was AWFUL. I hope this isn't a precursor of things to come. He can't POSSIBLY give up napping altogether... right? Don't answer that.

No news on the labor front for my very very pregnant friend. (even with a full moon last night and snow all over the road)

And the weather report is slowly becoming available for our trip! March 6th (the day we arrive) is going to be 75 and partly cloudy! ::happy dance:: We're going to have so much fun! Hey, the no nap thing might even be a plus, at least for that week!

No comments: