There is a blank line in Benjamin's baby book waiting for his "First Word." To avoid what happened when I tried filling out the line that said "Slept Through the Night" (10 crossouts, which will actually be sort of funny to look back on), I have been holding out to make sure we get the actual very first word.
He started saying mama at 6 months... but not to me. He started saying dada at 7 or 8 months, but not to Tom. We're pretty sure he knows who mama is and who dada is now, but he still never really says the words directly TO either one of us. More like, when he's upset about something and needs to be comforted, he says mama and he babbles dada when he's really happy and wants to play. So are these words? I don't know!
This morning, while I was dressing him, he waved at me three times and said, "Hahhhhee!" So if I count anything, it will probably be that, because it was definitely an actual word used in the right context.
I also thought he said banana once a month or so ago. I was feeding him a banana and saying "ba-NA-NA" with every bite and he came out with "nananana" But he babbles that a lot, so I could have just been reading too much into it.
I also worry that he's just going to start spewing tons of words out of nowhere and we're going to have a 15-month-old on our hands who walks around the house saying, "Stupid cat!" "Damn cat!" and "Anakin NO NO!" (those would be our most frequently used phrases around here)
No comments:
Post a Comment