Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Swapping a Paycheck for a Baby

I was figuring yesterday that I have about 7 paychecks left in my career. While this is a good thing because it means I'm ever closer to not having to drag myself into the corporate world day after day, it's also a little disconcerting.

Not that we won't have enough money after I stop working. We've planned for this for years ... we're careful, and we don't live beyond our means by any stretch. So Tom's salary covers all of our bills and then some, and mine gets saved, for the most part. Plus he gets his raise and bonus in July, three months after the baby comes, so that helps.

But still, the idea of not having mm own money is just WEIRD. I have worked full-time pretty much since I was 16. And since I always had my own money, I never felt bad spending it now and then. After March, I'm spending "our" money. It will be an adjustment.

I absolutely know I've made the right decision, but it's hard not to think about the fact that we'll be giving up about 20% of our income. Compared to Tom, I make diddly squat, but it's still a nice chunk to be able to put into savings.

Ah well. I guess it's something everyone who makes this decision struggles with. It's kind of an issue of personal independence.

But... the trade-off is certainly worth it.

No comments: