Search This Blog

Friday, December 12, 2003

Bloggity Difficulties

Sorry my blog hasn't been working for about a day and a half. Something is up with the site that hosts my comments. So comments are temporarily unavailable... but feel free to leave a note under the tagboard on the right. :) Seriously. My blog has been very lonely lately.

Not much new is going on with the baby, so here's a pregnancy update on mommy. I have gained 24 pounds. Sounds like a lot, but I'm on track to gain between 35 and 40 total, which is about right for the average pregnancy. The morning sickness has stayed away, which I am eternally thankful for. My only real complaints these days are the yucky acid reflux and a general lack of energy in the evenings. Otherwise, this pregnancy thing really is pretty easy. We'll see if I'm still saying that in another two months or so, but so far, it's just not that bad!

I've noticed from watching the various birth shows on the Discovery channel that there seem to be three types women during labor....

1) The au-naturel women who choose to go it with no pain meds. They usually look pretty miserable the entire time. This is not for me.

2) The women who get the epidural but it either doesn't work or it wears off. They usually look pretty miserable during the pushing stage. This is also not for me.

3) The women for whom the epidural works miracles and they laugh and talk through the entire labor. There is obvious effort during the pushing, but no look of real pain or anguish... these people even joke around between pushes. THIS is where I want to be.

I have a doctor's appointment on Monday and I'm going to ask her what I have to do to be laboring woman #3.

Also, regarding the issue of who will be in the delivery room. Tom, definitely. My mom, definitely. I apologize a hundred times over to my mother-in-law as well as anyone else who wanted to see the bloodbath that is birth, but I'm just too shy for that. Plus, in the very likely event that I am in pain, I really really don't want a ton of people around. I promise all who are interested that you can come in and out freely before the pushing begins... and as soon as they put me back together into some sort of modest state, you can come right in and hold the baby, take pictures, etc... but during the ickiness, it's an exclusive crowd. Tom, because he did this to me and after all, Benjamin IS half his. ;) And my mom because she's my mommy.

No comments: