Search This Blog

Thursday, November 13, 2003

Baby Mozart...

So ever since my friend Jen told me that they played classical music for Ryan while she was pregnant and later, after Ryan was born, he got very calm when he heard the same music, I've been doing research about why this is...

I've found tons of interesting information... first and foremost everyone should know that there is NO evidence to support that doing this makes your baby any smarter.

However, babies CAN hear sounds and remember them starting at about 20 weeks. And there is TONS of scientific evidence that proves exactly what Jen found out... that when a baby hears familiar music or sounds that he or she heard in the womb, those sounds can have a calming effect.

Calm is good.

Anything that DOES calm is good. I'm sold.

So today, baby is listening to one of my Mozart cd's while I work. He seems to be enjoying it (or at least responding) because he's kicking a lot more than he usually does in the afternoon.

Anyway, I know I've posted about this topic before, I just find it fascinating.

I also found this little nugget that made me laugh:

"...Some also say that fetuses breathe in time to music they enjoy. California obstetrician Dr. Rene Van de Carr says he's observed a 33-week-old fetus pattern his breathing to the beat of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. Dr. van de Carr, who wrote While You're Expecting...Your Own Prenatal Classroom and teaches parents how to stimulate their unborn babies through music and other exercises at his Prenatal University in Hayward, California, says because the fetus followed the rhythm of the symphony, it's obvious he learned something about the rhythm and enjoyed it..."

No comments: