Search This Blog

Friday, January 02, 2015

Party Kid, New Year's Day, and Other Randomness....

Ben, we have discovered lately, is perhaps our most social kid. LOL. He LOVES having parties and having people over. The more people here, the happier he is. As with his sleep habits, this is completely the opposite of the rest of the family. LOL.  Anyway, it's very funny.

At any rate, he has been in his element the last two weeks as we have gone from one family event to another and had people over our house constantly. Last night, we had his Uncle Taylor and two cousins over (Aunt Sarah was home sick) and Nanee and Pap.  Earlier in the day, he had his friend Tommy over.

I'm hoping all this peopling is enough to tide him over until at least Sunday. I told him I need a people-free day today.... if for no other reason than to catch up on the dishes and clean up the playroom, the state of which currently, resembles a tiny frat house.

In contrast, his youngest brother is all out of sorts with the lack of routine lately, constantly having people in his space and not having me to himself.

We have had a WONDERFUL Christmas break though. I didn't realize just how much I needed OFF the school-schedule train for a little while.

We had a nice time last night with Tom's brother and his parents. Since Aunt Sarah didn't come, I didn't really have anyone to talk to (my mother-in-law doesn't really have a whole lot of interest in conversing with me, honestly), which meant I was pretty free to just do my thing in the kitchen and keep to myself, only occasionally entering into the ongoing-20-year conversation about Disneyworld. (they all always just pick right up where they left off)  I really don't mind this!

[begin Disney tangent] Speaking of Disney, we are planning our next trip for August. We just haven't figured out any way around going in the summer. I have a problem with the boys missing school for vacation... especially Ben now that he is in the intermediate grades and misses a TON when he is even home sick for a day. Simon is not a huge fan of make-up work and missing a week, or even 3-4 days for Disney would be a huge disaster right now.  So summer it is. And it's okay.... no worrying about flu season or whether our car will be iced in when we return.... we don't mind the Florida summer heat either.  It's the crowds that are more annoying to me... but the way we do Disney, even that isn't so bad. We just do as much as we can in the mornings and early afternoons and spend the rest of the time at the pools or doing other things, then sometimes go back to the parks in the evenings depending on how everyone feels.  Plus, the new Fastpass magic band system, while limiting our flexibility some, makes it easy to plan everything out before we go.
[/end Disney tangent]

I have been toy purging like crazy over here. Only, no toys have actually left.  I just moved them to the storage room until I can get them out the door without the kids seeing. The whole time i'm cleaning, Jonathan follows me around nervously... "Where are you taking that? What are you doing?" LOL. So I have to be sneaky.   In the meantime, the boys have re-discovered bunches of toys and games they haven't touched in awhile.... everyone is super into Jenga right now.

Today, we are just hanging out. I might de-Christmas some. Hoping the boys are happy to entertain themselves. :)  Right now, two out of three are still asleep... oh so nice. :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

Right there with you on Disney. I just don't think we can avoid summer if we decide to go again. How desperately I wanted to go this winter (when it is most affordable for us as a family of six and when we have a chunk of time off of school), but four kids on our own is just way too difficult for us. Just eating dinner out requires one of us to be "on duty" waitering to the kids and that is no fun-- and certainly not if you are paying for expensive disney food. Anyways... hoping to go when Henry is older... maybe in the summer or by some miracle, Christmas break and hoping that another family comes with us to help defray costs of a suite!