I sent off the check for fall swimming yesterday. Before I put it in the mailbox, I lectured Ben about how he was NOT allowed to freak out and say he wanted to quit on the first day. First off, it's expensive... like five times as expensive as summer swim team. Ridiculous. Absolutely worth it in the end if he continues to enjoy it like he does now and/or continues to progress at the rate he has. Conversely, recipe for major parental annoyance if he pulls a "Ben."
So, I told him if he wanted to have a freakout, he needed to save it for in the car AFTER the first practice because I can't deal with that with the two other kids with me, plus he's NINE and he's has done swim team before now so he needs to just deal since he told me this is something he wants to do. Also? He's NOT quitting. We're only signed up for Sept - December right now (can decide about December - May later) and he can stick it out that long.
So there's that.
I've decided it's really crucial we find Simon a "thing" sooner than later too. We are seeing some pretty clear middle child issues surfacing and I think a lot of it could be helped if we find him something he can be really good at. Currently, he is not really "athletic". Ben wasn't either at this age, but he liked sports. Simon doesn't even really like it... he whines the whole time. He also does not have a competitive bone in his body. Maybe he'll eventually find a sport he loves and I'm not ruling that out.... but for now, he needs something else. So I think we're going to start him with piano lessons in the fall. An old friend (who actually also taught my brother piano) is going to come to the house one evening a week and give him lessons. I actually would have liked to have found someplace for him to take violin instead, because he talks about this a lot, but I can't find anyone who gives lessons at peoples' homes and that element is kind of crucial for this to work. Just too hard right now with all three.
December to March brings basketball season and Ben will play again, of course. He's already excited. Simon says he wants to play too -- he would do clinic this year. I have my reservations about him actually liking it (soccer was a total disaster), but we can try it. It might be good for him and would make me feel less guilty about making him sit through Ben's games all season. LOL.
The swim team commitment has me the most anxious. Practices are three times a week but you can go to as few or as many as you want. I'm going to shoot for one weeknight and the Sunday evening one.... but the weeknight worries me.... I tend to lose motivation to leave the house once it's dark and freezing at 5p.m. LOL. BUT, we made summer work and that wasn't easy at first either... so I'm determined.
Can't believe it's almost fall... summer flew! Enjoying the last three weeks before school starts now. :)
3 comments:
Does your school have a Destination Imagination (DI) team. That strikes me as something right up Simon's ally. WIth his creativity and building skills I bet he would do very well.
http://www.destinationimagination.org/who-we-are
Link to DI website
LOL Sarah. No, not at the moment. We have the electric keyboard, which is full-size and the teacher said it would be great to start him on. I would eventually like to get a piano though. Just not planning to soon. :)
Post a Comment