Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Two-Wheelin'

Simon decided yesterday he wanted the training wheels off his bike. I've quietly suggested here and there throughout the summer that he was ready to maybe give it a try. He gets SO frustrated that he can't keep up with Ben and our neighbor with his training wheels on.

Well, I guess yesterday, he had finally had a enough because he came marching into the kitchen from outside, "I want you to take the training wheels off my bike now!"

I dropped what I was doing and went outside. It's so rare he wants to take on a challenge, especially a physical one! I didn't want to miss the opportunity.

I took the wheels off, set him up in the middle of the driveway, pointed him toward the backyard and set him free. And then? He just DID it! He still can't turn very well and dismounting is challenging... but he has the balance part of it!

He worked at it for awhile and then took a break. When Tom got home he worked at it some more and ended up going the furthest he has gone yet! All the way across the front yard and down the hill!

Today I need to convince him to try the driveway a little more. He asked to put the training wheels back on yesterday evening, but there is no going back now!





No comments: