Edited AGAIN to add: And then I found this which was also very interesting...
Ben brought home his "Friday Folder" yesterday. This is the one that holds printouts of all the songs and whatnot the kids learned that week. Among other things, yesterday's folder contained this:
Okay, so I GET the point of it. It's a pre-reading thing... the teacher actually sent home a long explanation on the day they did this activity about the point of it. And that's all well and good...
...but it kinda gives me a weird feeling that they used fast food brands... (btw, the other side adds in Dunkin Donuts to the song) Also, it's a little weird to hear Ben do the chant. He sounds like a commercial.
Then again, when I pondered alternatives last night, I realized these really are more universal than pretty much anything else they could have chosen, I guess. I might have felt better about though if it went more like, "Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy and a Mickey Mouse." (shrug) Or, if they want to stick to signage, "Enter, Enter, Exit, Exit, No Parking and and Enter." LOL!
Weird. Tom actually theorized that the whole activity was spondsored by Yum Brands, which, if this were true would seem REALLY wrong... but I don't think Dunkin Donuts is a Yum Brand. Hrm...
In other news, kindergarten has already started having a positive impact on Ben. He is suddenly VERY into drawing, something he has always been pretty indifferent about. He was trying to get the cat to hold still last night so he could study him to do an accurate rendition. LOL! He also asked me this morning to help him sound out the word "Meow" for his picture and when he wrote his letters, he did them slowly and carefully and talked himself through it... "up down up down"! (he's one to usually just hurry through it... the child HATES HATES HATES writing...but hopefully that is changing!) Still couldn't convince him to use lower case letters though. Heh.
All in all, I can't complain. I just think the fast food thing is a bit odd. I'm sure it's not even his teacher's thing. My guess is that every public kindergarten in the county does this activity... but I can't imagine they don't get at least a few parents complaining about it. ?
No comments:
Post a Comment