Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Day 2....

Another hour-long school"day".

This time, the parents were held captive in the library while the kids hung out with the teacher.

We heard from the principal, the nurse, the counselor, the kindergarten assistant, the reading specialist and the assistant principal, during which time I learned the following:

1) My total intolerance/impatience for staring at a handout and having someone read it to me verbatim has not changed. I also hate Powerpoint.

2) The library has a "bible" section. Odd and surprising.

3) The school neglected to tell ANYONE what time to be at their appointed bus stops and they didn't seem to think anything was wrong with this. Fortunately, it was not something I was particularly concerned about since we have tons of neighbors on the bus and I know they are all standing there by 8:50. But still... strange?

4) I can now use the terms "dibling" and "dibled" in a sentence. As in, "We will be dibling your children three times over the course of the school year."

5) Ben had more fun than I did.

6) Should the need arise, the school has a "lockdown" plan. That's not something I want to think about, but I suppose it's good to know.

7) The moms at my table were not very friendly. Ew. Thankfully, they all had kids in a class that is NOT Ben's.

8) Half the parents don't read anything that is sent home. THREE people asked what night Back to School Night is. That date/time has only been on at least four handouts that have come from the school already. READ, people!

Anyway, Ben seemed to have fun. They read a story about a monster who didn't obey the school rules and then did a little coloring project.

Tomorrow is a half day with his whole class AND he eats lunch there. NOW we're making progress!

Oh, and his teacher spelled the word kindergarten right on the chalkboard today. LOL.

No comments: