Search This Blog

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Day 4....

Second 1/2 day! I'm very, VERY glad I won't have to be doing the take to school/pick up routine five days a week, at least for this year.

It's just ridiculously hard to get the two kids dressed and out the door. I know that sounds really wimpy and whiny for a mom of two, (and the moms of >2, not to mention the working moms who get two or more out the door every.single.morning. to daycare are probably laughing at me right now) ... but Simon is at a ridiculously difficult age for this right now. He pitches a fit 9 days out of 10 lately when I try to put PANTS on him. So yeah, the day I can just take him outside in his jammies and walk big brother down to the bus stop? That will be a good day. In fact, that will be TOMORROW. Hooray!

Ben didn't buy anything in the lunch line yesterday, despite me reminding him to do so. I had wanted to mention it to his teacher at drop off, but they were very strategic about where they PUT the teachers yesterday to prevent the lingering parent issue. The teachers were a good 20 feet down the hall, lined up three across collecting their respective classes. The assistants stood guard at the doors and only let KIDS in. LOL. It was pretty clever if you ask me.

Anyway, so he is headed to school today with a note in his folder telling the teacher to please encourage him to go through the lunch line for something, anything... I don't even care what, I just want him to know how it works.

At bedtime last night, he was chatty, so I worked him for information. I asked him in his teacher ever got mad. (because I figured if a teacher is actually visibly MAD or short-tempered in a way that is perceptible to a five-year-old the very first week of school? That's a little concerning) I was a little surprised when he said, "Well, she did get mad ONCE." I asked why and he said she had asked them all to choose books from the bookshelf and one little boy yelled, "NO!". He said she made him sit in time-out. I was relieved. I just didn't want hear she was snapping at them already for things or being impatient. But if a kid was outright defiant... well then, by all means, yes, toss his butt in time-out, please. ;)

He gets a little update pasted into his marble notebook that I have to sign every day that says what they did that day. I really like that. :) Apparently, Tuesday, homework will begin. I'm kind of dreading that with Ben... but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. We also have to make a "book box" for the take home readers they'll be getting. This must be a county-wide thing because his neighborhood friend at another elementary school has to do the same thing. :)

Oh, and I was looking over the class list yesterday and I *think* one of the kids in his class went to his preschool (but wasn't ever in his class), which is wacky because his preschool is pretty far away! I need to ask around at the preschool to see if anyone else recognizes the name.

Stay tuned later to see if Ben actually goes through the lunch line! ;)

No comments: