For months now, Jonathan has screeched "eeeeeee eeeee!!!" when pointing at the cat, cuddling with the cat, chasing the cat, "petting" the cat, etc. I've never counted it as a word because he says "eeee!!! eee!!!" when he points to a lot things. Usually things are one of three sounds: "ee ee!" "eh eh eh" or "ooooooooooo oooooo". Not exactly a verbal child at this point.
So yeah...
Anyway, today... TODAY, my friends... he said "Dih-TEE!!!" The first time I chalked it up to a fluke (because over the last seven months I've heard him say everything from "kitty cat" to "marshmallow" once but then never again.) But 15 minutes later, there was another clear, "DIh-TEEEE!!!!"
I'm going to to create a 'third time's the charm' rule. We'll see if he says it again this afternoon or if it goes the way of all the other sounds I thought were words.
Truly, who needs to talk when you have two older brothers who never STOP talking? Interestingly, he actually DOES babble and experiment with sounds more when they are not here, which they happen to not be this afternoon... so there really must be something to that!
I actually have an appointment with Baltimore County Infants and Toddlers to come out and do an evaluation on him in a couple weeks. I'm not particularly concerned there is anything wrong because he's so communicative otherwise. I think he's on Ben's verbal timetable PLUS the older sibling thing added in on top of that. All I know is that we'd all be a LOT less frustrated if we could get him moving on some real words in the near future here. So hopefully they'll be able to give me some tips to get things moving!
No comments:
Post a Comment