Search This Blog

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Where To Begin?

Sorry for break. I'd like to say I was busy doing whatever people do when they get a little free time from 100% of their children, but alas, that was not the case. Instead, I spent the last week:

- waiting for phone calls to see if I'd need to pick up Jonathan from preschool early
- devising ways to get him excited, or at least tolerant and not screaming, about school
- waiting for phone calls to see if I'd need to get Simon from school early (three-day tummy ache)
- devising ways to help him understand he needs to poop more often and also eat things that are green
- waiting around for Jonathan to pee
- devising ways to make Jonathan understand that peeing on the potty is worth his time

That about sums it up.

But, a week of good, solid, honest work has paid off. Jonathan went to school yesterday with ZERO tears and had a great day, much to everyone's relief. He also pee peed in the potty more times than he didn't and, for the first time ever, told me he needed to go and made it on time.  Crossing my fingers to have this done in a couple weeks so he can start wearing underwear to school instead of a PullUp.

Simon worked things out on his end, though apparently spent some time laying down in the nurse's office on Tuesday.  He was still irked to have to go to school yesterday because he had gym class and apparently he hates gym class now. He also had a substitute. Rough day for him!  It's always something.

In other news, we've been faithfully plugging away at his reading at night and he is really, REALLY getting it. He's reading at a really good pace! Remembering words, sounding things out really well. I'm super proud of him. :)

Not much to say about Ben lately.... they always take turns with being challenging and its his month off. He's doing well in school, is really enjoying it, though complains that he never gets free time to talk to his friends. I need to get better about setting up playdates outside of school. :( It's hard when everyone has sports commitments! If only he liked soccer, he could see all of his friends every Saturday morning! LOL!  He also reports they have ruined his parent pickup line time by assigning them spots next to their siblings, not with friends, and also making them sit "shoulder to wall" so they can't really talk. What can I say? Elementary school is a dictatorship. I feel sort of bad for him... he really did like that last bit of his day....

He did start fall swim team... we actually moved him down to pre-team where we thought he'd be more comfortable, plus, it's less of a family commitment (only an hour on Saturdays and no swim meets) so really much better for us right now. It took two weeks, but he's back to loving it. Tom has been taking him and said he's so fast, he caught up with a 13-year-old girl he was sharing a lane with the other day. The coach had to tell him to slow down. LOL.

Oh! And Jonathan started swim lessons Tuesday with a new teacher. Our previous teacher left the gym to do other things. (though she still babysits for us... so yay!) He took to "Miss Tara's friend" (that's what I called her so hopefully some of the love for Tara would transfer) quickly and had his first ever lesson all to himself. After it was over, she came over and told me he's such a little fish! She had him swimming a little less than halfway across the pool and working on his back float. Oh, and she tried to teach him to dive, which was pretty hilarious.... I love that he just went with it. ;)



I've been spending lots of time in the library at the elementary school. I love it there! I like to get the kids' books checked in and out and then get to work making the shelves look pretty. I get a little obsessive about it... my years of working retail are all coming back to me. Yesterday, I made it all the way from A-M in fiction. Personal best! I also located some misplaced 39 Clues and Narnia books and took great pleasure in getting them back where they belonged.  Whew. Those poor books would have been misplaced for who knows how long if I hadn't found them! ;) LOL. I try not to think about the fact that four classes come in after I leave and mess it all up again. HA!

So that's what has been going on our world. Now that Jonathan is comfortable with school, I feel like I can start getting some things done on those mornings... I have some painting I want to do. And next week, I need to go get some fall flowers and clean up what's left of the vegetable garden. (Didn't have such a great year with that, but I learned a lot, so there's always next year! My herbs are still doing great though!) :)

No comments: