Search This Blog

Saturday, December 08, 2012

Whistling While I Work....

I am having the most fun baking this Christmas season! I enjoy baking for Christmas, but usually, things get backed up and I get too stressed out toward the end to really have fun with it. This year, I decided to take a step back, break it down and knock out only one thing at a time, a little at a time, starting way early and putting things in the freezer as I go.

Can't argue with the results.

I'm making a TON of things this year for various groups of people. Truffles, Chocolate Chips, mini bundt cakes, scones, marshmallows, no bake oatmeals, and sugar cookies. (if I have the time, I am going to attempt the ones I have always wanted to make... the fancy ones with the thick royal icing... here's hoping... it's something I've wanted to do for years!)

So far, I'm finished with the truffles (all total, I made 300 over about four days). I'm finished with the chocolate chips (140 dough balls now in the freezer, waiting to be baked the night before I stuff them into bags), and I'm halfway done the bundt bakes. (2 dozen or so) The marshmallows are probably going to be saved for last because they have the shortest shelf life and I can't freeze them. So next up are probably the scones.

I've just been doing a batch a day of something during most nap times. It's amazing what just a little a day can add up to!

So happy I have figured out how to make it a more leisurely experience because it is really something I enjoy, but in years past, the stress has sucked all the joy out of it.

The other thing that has helped is that I have embraced the fact that my kitchen will not be completely clean and clutter-free until after Christmas. I just leave all the non-perishable ingredients, measuring cups and trays out in a pile on one of the counter and it's so much easier.

I'm excited too because with my new system, I have enough this year to give out to people I never had time to bake for before.... some neighbors and friends... that kind of thing. :) YAY!

1 comment:

Erika said...

That is what I love to do too (my mom has always done this and she bakes a hella lot). Sadly my baking is non-existent this year but I will make up for it next year. I love giving baked goods to the kids' teachers. Sounds like you have quite a variety of yummy treats!