He replied that he would, but he was pretty sure he'd get them all right. Oh, the self-confidence of that kid!
Can't wait to see how he does!
Speaking of first grade math, check out the homework that came home the other night. Just the very mention of "algebra" made my stomach a little queasy. Ack. Algebra concepts? In first grade? Seriously? I'm going to need a tutor by the time he's in second grade to help with the math homework! What happened to 2+2 and "Around the World?" And what do they have against + and - signs?
8 comments:
wow, i didn't know that was considered algebra! thats what we are working on. 1 fewer and 1 more. over here they don't say plus or minus but say add and take away! i think micah will be confused as i say it one way and hubby says it the other!
Caroline had the exact same type of worksheet the other night and I actually thought "hey that's like algebra" before I noticed the "Algebra Concepts" heading. I'm not sure how they are teaching them to do in class so I hope the way I helped her to do it wasn't wrong as I have a method to my madness. So algebra in 1st grade, calculus by 5th?
I DREAD math with Anastasia. Sooooo not my thing either. That's all in Daddy's corner.
And is it sad that the wording took me longer than it really should have to figure out what the answer was? *hangs my head in shame*
Oh Krystyna... no worries... I had to read it THREE TIMES and by that time, Ben had already finished all the problems. LOL!!!
I'm a math major and had to read those problems a few times before I got it. Sleep deprivation strikes again.
They sure don't teach it the way they used to! This is why I was always afraid to show Ben how to do anything math-related the last couple years when he'd ask me! I just knew I'd mess him all up for school! LOL
You crack me up! I love how you share things from the parent's point of view. It truly helps me out as a teacher! "Calculus" and "trig" are on our third grade report cards. I am not kidding. It's just basic stuff though.
I can't wait to hear how he did!
No worries! Plusses and minuses are coming soon. The next unit is "Beginning to Add and Subtract." It will start to look like "old math" before you know it!
Post a Comment