So, we had Jonathan's eligibility meeting this morning to determine if he could still receive county services. Things were VERY up in the air as to how it would go.... thought our Kennedy Krieger report would seal the deal, but even that didn't make it a sure thing, as it turns out.
My stomach was all in knots on the way there and while we waited.
I'm not new to team meetings. We've had two or three of them for Ben. I don't think I'll ever get used to them... all serious official business and whatnot. I don't really so much do "official" and "serious business" very well. I can turn on the serious when I need to, but I'm lighthearted by nature and I think there's humor to be found pretty much everywhere. (For instance, at one point they asked, in response to a concern about him falling a lot, "Well, is his head.... very... large? I laughed. They didn't. C'mon... that's a little funny!?) It's not that I don't take it seriously because, believe me, I do. Very much so. I just like to break up the serious with a little laughter here and there.
Anyway, so these team-people types do not tend to find me amusing. Never stops me from trying. I just can't help it.
As usual. It was a tough crowd. Oh well.
I had been well-prepped over the last few months as to what to focus on, what to say and how to say it and I was armed with two pages of notes about concerns and issues to bring up if need be. I had underlined the ones that specifically pertained to my biggest concern -- school, so in case I got flustered I wouldn't be completely lost.
I didn't even have to bring them out. We were not even 15 minutes in when the guy sitting across the table from me (SLP? Psychologist? Not even sure because, truth be told, I don't always listen very well) said the words, "Well, he'll be eligible just based on his pragmatic speech." Don't even remember much of what was said after that because I was too busy trying to decide if I had heard him right and if it meant what I thought it did. Right then, Cindy, who was sitting next to me, hit me under the table and I saw her smile out of the corner of my eye. I knew we were in!
It seemed to be heading in the right direction, so I didn't dare open my mouth for fear I'd say something stupid and ruin it. After some more talking amongst themselves with very little (any?) real input from Tom and me, they ended up quickly determining that that he was eligible based on Atypical Developmental Delay.
Done and done. Sign here. Initial there. Sign here. Thanks for coming!
I put on my best "I'm a grownup!" face and walked out quietly with Tom, all the while in my head, I was hugging everyone and jumping up and down like I'd just been called to "Come on down!!!!" from the Price is Right audience. I'll stop and let you picture that for a moment. Yeah... it's probably a good thing that only went on in my head.
Huge, enormous, two-ton weight lifted. Amazingly relieved.
So now, we can continue our services that we are currently getting -- PLUS Cindy, the psychologist, the OT, and even the SLP can go work with him/observe him at school or at home on an as needed basis. There is all kinds of flexibility as to the who, when, and where of it all. It's perfect. I don't have any doubt that sticking with Infants and Toddlers and the IFSP was a better option for us than moving to ChildFind and IEP. It's what works best for us, at least for now.
I am beyond thrilled, surprised, and thankful and I feel like we hit the jackpot.
We got everything we wanted and then some. Now we have the perfect safety net/supports in place for school, which has been at the top of my worries these days. Plus, can't deny I'm ecstatic that we get to keep our beloved Ms. Cindy for at least another year! :)
She says I owe her a coffee now. LOL! More than happy to pay up. ;) I wish I could give her a million dollars after all she's done for Jonathan over the last 18 months.
It's a great, happy ending to months of uncertainty and worry about my little guy. He's going to be okay and he's going to get everything he needs. All is well........
Sigh of relief. :)
1 comment:
that is wonderful news!!! so happy for you all!
Post a Comment