Search This Blog
Saturday, August 25, 2012
Jonathan is Two!
Dear Jonathan,
Today you are two! And so far, it's not "terrible." In fact, dare I say, at this age you are already a far more reasonable human being than you were three months ago?
You definitely live life on your own terms though, that's for certain.
You are extreme in everything you do. Even walking down the stairs is not something you do in any kind of ordinary way. You prefer to hold someone's hand and go down in a controlled head-first fall. Still not sure how you managed the stairs on your own the day you recently climbed out of your crib and went down to the first floor by yourself.
The biggest news of the month is your talking has exploded. Our goal was 50 words by the time you were two and you have easily surpassed that and I have stopped writing them down because I can't keep up anymore. Bigger news though, is that you are using your words on your own a lot, without having to be reminded. This, I think, is what is making "two" way less terrible than 1-1/2.
You love your speech days with Miss Cindy. She brings fun new toys with her every week and she knows just what you like. There is always some kind of instrument or music toy in the bunch that holds your interest. You cooperate well for her now and, clearly, since you are now using lots of words, her work is doing its job!
This is not to say you don't still throw tantrums, because you sure can throw some doozies. They are much quicker these days when they happen though and much less frequent. We have learned that we can't allow you do something even ONCE if it's something we can't let you do all the time because this is the biggest trigger. So a box of Tic Tacs in the checkout line at Safeway as a treat? Yeah... sorry, buddy, but it's time to get off the Tic Tac train.
You still adore your music in all forms. You love love LOVE to dance and sing and clap. Your favorite toys are your instruments and you love anything with a good beat. We're all frankly a little sick of your two favorite songs, Call Me Maybe and Somebody That I Used to Know. I'm working on weaning you onto some better music now... the Muppets.... and later, some Beatles maybe?
Among your other top loves? Animals. I have to stop you from running up to strange dogs to pet them and rub your face on theirs. Our cat always gets a snuggle from you if he happens to walk by and you even give Simon's fish love through the aquarium.
Your favorite book right now is Corduroy, and you will climb into the lap of absolutely anyone willing to read it to you. We got you a little Corduroy bear for your birthday and you carry it around and reenact that book. It's truly one of the cutest things I have ever seen.
You start Mommy and Me preschool in a few weeks and I'm a mix of excited and a little worried. Sometimes you are unpredictable, but I'm putting faith in Miss Sally that you'll quickly pick up the routine and enjoy every minute of it. I figure, worst case scenario with your late birthday you can repeat the class next fall and we'll have an extra year with Miss Sally... which wouldn't be a bad thing!
You are a challenge, for sure... and I think you always will keep me on my toes. But with your extremes also brings extreme snuggles, extreme kisses and extreme hugs. You are sweet beyond sweet and oh so loving.
Our days are not always easy, but as least they are full of kisses!
Happy HAPPY second birthday, J!
Love,
Mommy

2 comments:
Happy Birthday Jonathan!!!
Lynda (UK)
He is so, so, so cute!
Hard to believe it has been 2 years!
Post a Comment