1) Ben has a perforation in his eardrum. We don't when it happened... except that there was a small one there in August when he last had an ear infection, so it may have just enlarged and never healed up. Apparently when tubes are placed and eventually extruded, they leave a weak spot in the eardrum leaving it extremely vulnerable to future perforation. :( The pediatrician is sending us to our ENT in a week to see if it has started to heal and if not, he'll need surgery to patch it. Fantastic. He also sent us home with antibiotic eardrops to put in Ben's ear twice a day to prevent it from getting infected in the meantime. Let me just tell you how fun THOSE have been to administer. Even better, the biggest symptom of an eardrum perforation is that that when water gets in the ear, it's excruciatingly painful... eardrops = water. Yep. Good times.
2) Otherwise, Ben is well. He's all into football now, much to my chagrin. Tom's enjoying sharing it with him on the weekends though. I think I'd call it his current obsession... although his obsessions as of late haven't been full-on, 24/7 like previous ones. Nevertheless, there is a LOT of football talk in our house these days.
3) Simon had his preschool pageant today and it was as adorable as it was chaotic. He most definitely secured his spot as the family ham. Videos are on Facebook and I'll put them here later as I think they do deserve their own post. ;) He danced and sang and rang his little jingle bell with a ridiculous amount of spirit. TOO cute. :o)
I'm glad he's the performer in the family... I think it will help counteract some of the middle child stuff because honestly, it brings him a TON of attention from everyone. I actually feel a little sorry for Ben because he kind of hangs in the background when Simon is hamming it up. I think he feels a little inferior in this respect... He even said to me the other day, "When it comes to smiling for pictures, Simon is ALWAYS the winner. I don't know how to smile." (and no, he has not heard me say that... the "I don't know how to smile" thing is something he has said of his own accord repeatedly lately...I think he's kind of self-conscious about it) Ben gets SO much attention for other things though... he can let Simon have this. Right? First-borns can't have/be everything!!!
4) Jonathan is a crappy sleeper... perhaps the crappiest sleeper of my three babies. (or maybe I've just blocked out the bad sleeping habits of the other two) Seriously. He is still not sleeping more than 2-3 hours at a time at night. OCCASIONALLY, his first stretch will go from 7-11... but even that isn't very regular. After that, he wakes up at 1, 3 and 4. (or 12, 2 and 4. It stinks. I'm kind of to the point where I may need to start trying a little tough love. We don't do cry it out... I can't stomach it for more than five minutes... but I may need to do some leaving him in the crib while soothing and re-binking from above action. He hasn't been eating much at night lately... so I don't think he's all that hungry. He just wakes up and can't soothe himself back to sleep. I am really longing for a nice 8-hour stretch sometime soon. REALLY. (yawn)
Otherwise, he's my easiest baby ever. I keep joking (sort of) that he's my favorite baby of the three (as babies). I toyed with trying to get my mother-in-law to admit that my youngest brother-in-law was her favorite baby of her three, but thought she might not see the humor in that because she goes to such lengths to NOT favor anyone. Anyway... he's just all around content and easygoing. If Ben had been like this, I might have had Simon about two years sooner. LOL!
Almost ready for Christmas over here... can't wait for the downtime with Tom home and all the boys in one place. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment