Search This Blog

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Hello, Cello!

Simon is two weeks into the cello lessons at school and he LOVES it. He saws away on that thing up in his room for an hour at a time only to come back to it an hour later and play some more.  He will play one note over and over again in the rhythm of a song -- "Listen! I'm playing 'Let it Go' from Frozen!!" ;) Cracks me up. 

So far in class, they have only learned pizzicato (plucking the strings), so I am making him practice that too. 

He didn't bat an eye when I told him it was time to go the first week. Up to school we went and I walked him in. He ran right into the unfamiliar classroom with the teacher he didn't really know and sat right down like he had been doing it all year long. LOL! This kind of thing continually surprises me with Simon because his big brother would do no such thing.  I should stop being surprised and just go with it, but I truly may never get used to this difference in my kids. HA!
He came out of the parent pickup line that day with his cello and he was beaming from ear to ear.

Came right home and posed for this picture. 
There was a bit of a mixup with his book, where the teacher thought he gave him one and Simon just assumed that was true and he had lost it (poor kid, how sad that he just assumed that!!). In actuality he never got one. But we have straightened that out now and he is in possession of both cello and book. ;) 

I'm excited for him to learn how to hold the bow and play a couple little songs. They have a recital in June and I think it's going to be adorable. His little class is basically all first graders,  maybe a couple of second graders, which is SO cute. There are two other cellos and the rest violins. :)

If he really likes it, I was thinking of signing him up for lessons over the summer at the music store near our house. So we'll see.... :) Otherwise, school will offer lessons again starting in the fall. 

Will this be his thing? I'm hoping so! :) 

No comments: