Simon took it SO seriously though. Man alive... if he actually learns some technique and can remember which direction to kick the ball, he will be a force to be reckoned with. He is pretty competitive, we are finding! I guess that's a good place to channel his angry streak... into competitiveness.
On the opposite end of the spectrum is this little girl on his team (who is the coach's daughter). I honestly don't know what these parents were thinking signing this child up for a team sport. She was terrified of the whole situation. Clearly it was way too overwhelming for her and she didn't understand or want to understand what was going on. She just kept bursting into tears and screaming for daddy in the middle of the field, which was pretty distracting for a bunch of already distracted four-year-olds. She especially freaked out when another kid would come by and steal the ball or if she had to kick it to another kid who was supposed to "block the goal" or whatever. Simon was on the receiving end of this a few times. I do not think it helped reinforce our "girls are cool." mantra we've been working so hard to drill into him lately. NOT good.
Anyway, he had a great time, chaotic though it was and can't wait to go back next week. He is especially thrilled with his blue jersey with the number 9 on it. :)
We are just glad he didn't get put on the pink team. He dislikes the color pink more than he dislikes girls, I think. Yes, they actually made one of the team jersey colors pink. Interesting, I thought, given that the soccer clinic is dominated by little boys. Not that little boys can't wear pink but... really? I'm wondering how the kids took it.... they were too far away to hear. LOL.


3 comments:
I love Simon & I love kids playing soccer! I am rooting for his "girlfriend" on the team. I hope she comes around. I so desperately want my girls to play soccer so I can coach them, but I feared they would be that little girl, so I am waiting another year. Pink is an add choice for jersey, but maybe they ran out of good colors with 12 teams! (And pink used to be a boys color until about the 1950's? Pink is the soft,kid version of red, the color of Ares/Mars-- the greek/roman god of war. I was watching a documentary on this recently. I guess that doesn't help. LOL)
I'm sure your girls will do fine on a soccer team when you decide to do it. Plus, you know your kids well enough to decide whether or not it would be a good fit for them.
This situation smacked of the dad wishing he had a team sports loving kid and pushing this kid into it. It was hard to watch. BOY was she miserable. Hope it's a little better next week or this is going to a long seven weeks.
Too funny.
I have seen kids like that on the field. And what is worse is when mommy or daddy runs with them on the field. Ughm, if your child can't run alone on the field then this sport is NOT for them.
And pink? That's interesting. We have a deep purple but that's as girly as it gets :)
Post a Comment