Search This Blog

Friday, June 04, 2010

SillyBandz...

Have these made it to your neck of the woods yet? I have to admit, I was vaguely aware of them because of some of the older kids at the bus stop and some moms of older kids talking about them at the preschool. I figured they'd pass us over since they hadn't found their way to our house yet AND I have boys... (they are basically the equivalent of jelly bracelets, except they are rubber bands that turn into various shapes when you take them off)

Not so.

My neighbor Lori showed up with a pack for each of the kids a couple afternoons ago when we were all outside and they went NUTS over them, both girls AND boys. Apparently, as it turns out, Ben knew all about them and had been secretly wanting for them for months now. He's all over these darn things. We lost one yesterday and you would have thought it was a major tragedy.

Even Simon walks around with his set of colorful rubber bands on his wrist yammering on and on about his sillybandz.

It's kinda funny. ;) Made me think back to all the funny fads we had... like the plastic charm necklaces with the giant plastic charms dangling from them. At one point, I even had a toilet hanging from mine. I remember BEGGING my parents for one and my dad finally taking me to Woolworth's to pick one out.

Or slap bracelets, which, incidentally, I saw at Five Below the other day. I figured those suckers were outlawed, given that they basically are a razor blade encased in fabric.

LOL!

7 comments:

Katie said...

Yes! The kids at Em's preschool all had them. I guess from older siblings? Too funny.

Heidi said...

If you need a stash, have your mom pick some up at the Bethany Boardwalk...they were EVERYWHERE!

erin said...

they are all the rage at my school. i think they are kinda cute actually.

Erika said...

I totally had a charm necklace with a toilet hanging off of it too. Classic.

Um, I know NOTHING about these. I need to google.

Twinkletoes said...

As a teacher, they have been the rage for a while now. I don't know of the necklaces you mean, but clearly remember Garbage Pail Kids and scrunchy socks...oh yeah, and jeans being rolled up!

gm said...

Aunt Debbie was so far ahead on this one....Lol

Meghan said...

Conner loves them too, but they're banned from his classroom. I had to ban them from mine too - I had kids playing with them so much that they were putting them on their legs! They are cool though.