Search This Blog

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sorta Kinda Big Boy Bed...

ETA: Pics! :)
View from the door. (which makes the room look WAY bigger than it actually is... in some houses, they'd call this room a walk-in closet. ;)


Closer -- makeshift bedding which I'm trying not to let drive me crazy since I know he won't be in here very long.


View from above because I wanted to test out my rocking chair balancing skillz. Changing table will be making an exit eventually, even with a new baby... we just never use it, except for storage. A bookshelf would be much better use of the space! We are all about storage in this house! ;)


I had been mulling over putting Simon in the toddler bed for awhile now, but was going to wait until he was a few months over two... only because that timing worked out well with Ben and I thought, why mess with a good thing?

The topic has been bounced around in my toddler mommy circles now for a few months too. My plan had been to start him in the toddler bed either in the nursery or somehow rearrange Ben's room to make room for it until Simon was ready to be in the bottom bunk bed. (which necessitates Ben being out of the house during naptime, a.k.a. at kindergarten, or Simon no longer napping. (gah!)

At any rate, Simon sped the process up a bit last week when he started saying, "Do OSelf!" with regards to getting in and out of the crib. He wasn't making any progress, but he's persistent, and I had visions of him launching himself out onto the floor one morning.

So when my friend Beth converted her crib for her little boy a couple days ago, it inspired me to attempt the converted crib idea with Simon. So off came the side rail, on went a bed rail and voila, toddler bed without much impact on the look of the nursery... and which means when a new baby comes along, I won't have to completely reassemble the crib. Woohoo! ;)

Simon watched the process with curiosity. "Bed? Simon bed? Do oself?" Then when it was all put together, I brought him in and he excitedly climbed in and laid down. He napped there yesterday and slept in it last night with no problem! Like Ben at that age, he doesn't seem to even think it's an option to get out when I'm not in there... so hopefully that will stay that way.

So operation toddler bed was a success! :D I figure he can sleep there through the summer and then in the fall when Ben goes to school, we'll make the move to the bunk bed, which will leave the nursery vacant for an eventual Baby Three. ;) (or, depending on how crazy my kids drive me, a very nice guest room or office) ;)

Pic coming soon. :)

No comments: