Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Simon is 21 Months Old!





Dear Simon,

Today you are one and three quarters. ;) This past month has been a fairly easy one with you. You are less frustrated lately because you have found your words and there don't seem to be any teeth on the way to make you grumpy. I am actually starting to wonder if you even HAVE eyeteeth, but that's a whole other post.

This doesn't mean you aren't still challenging sometimes. You are rather prone to throwing yourself on the floor in dramatic fits when you don't get what you want. The funny part is that you don't have much staying power and are pretty easy to to wait out. Two days ago you were in the store with me and the following transpired: -- I've discovered the secret to buying myself some cart time with you is to take you to the store hungry and whip out a bag of goldfish. This day, you wanted to walk when we got there. I said, "Okay, but the fish stay in the cart." You seemed content with this arrangement for about ten minutes, walking happily beside me and then you decided you wanted the fish. I lifted you up into the cart and you did your patented Baby Made of Lead with No Bendable Joints (tm) routine and shrieked. I put you down and said again, "If you want the fish, you need to sit in the cart." We did this a few more times and in between, you tried all manner of extracting the bag of goldfish from the cart before you resorted to the floor tantrum, which I have to say, was quite the performance. First you went entirely limp (your Baby Made of Gelatin with no Knees (tm) routine), and then the wailing began. Ohhh, the people, how they stopped and stared, judging and tsking and a'rolling their eyes, some smiled sympathetically at me, some excused themselves to walk by us, others just peered around the aisles... still you screamed. And then suddenly, as if the Lord God himself had opened up the heavens and pointed you to the path of goodness, you stopped, stood up and decided it might actually be cool to sit in the cart (the basket, not the seat, of course) and munch on your goldfish. You were an angel for the rest of the shopping trip, babbling and pointing and waving to people. All the while, I kept reminding you that I WON. HA! And I will ALWAYS win because I am mommy so it's best you learn that early. :P

In other news this month, you like wearing your brother's underwear over your pants, walking up and down the stairs holding onto the railing (and taking years off my life while doing so), and flushing things down the toilet. Re: the latter, luckily, you only think toilet paper and small bits of paper trash work for this and haven't moved on to rubber duckies or Spiderman action figures. Anytime any of us is in the bathroom though, you come running, saying excitedly, "Fush! Fush!!" The potty go'er then has to fend you off until they are finished their business, all the while with you trying to get a piece of toilet paper into the bowl to "Fush." I usually humor you for being patient and hand you one sheet to throw in and "Fush" yourself. You squeal with glee at this activity. Tell me again why I buy toys?

You also have discovered a love of dancing. This is actually pretty recent, but suddenly it is one of your favorite things. Just yesterday, at Grandmom's, you played an ABC song on a toy about fiftyfahundred times, each time, pulling someone up from the couch by the hand, saying "Dass? Dass"? I'd like to say this means you like company in your dancing, but I think your motives are more devious. I think you like to see us all make fools of ourselves. ;)

You readily say, "Peez" these days to get what you want, which I'm happy about. If you are going to order someone around to do your bidding all day, it's at least nice to have manners about it.

The word of the month? Silly. You are just plain silly and giggly and just constantly make us all laugh. Many have speculated that your Uncle Brandon has a mini me... I guess only time will tell. ;)

See you next month!
Love,
Mommy

No comments: